There was anxiety over the health of Obuah on Monday, following speculation that he may have died in the custody of the Department of State Security (DSS). The former CSO has been in detention since last week, when he was arrested over allegation of illegal oil bunkering.
Speaking in Abuja, yesterday, in a press conference, Obuah said contrary to rumours, he was being treated with dignity by the DSS.
Looking composed and well kept, Obuah said: “ I thank Nigerians and members of my family, who have expressed very serious concern about my well being in the last six days. I want to use this medium to tell Nigerians and members of my family that I am hale and hearty.
“As a serving officer of DSS and having completed my duty tour with the last President (Jonathan), the service felt that I should give a briefing of my stewardship. Nigerians should be assured that DSS is a responsible organisation and I am sure that nothing adverse will happen to me once it is ascertained that I did nothing wrong.”
Obuah, who refused to take questions from newsmen, said: “I am a serving member of staff of DSS and I have limitations regarding speaking with the press. I thank the director general of DSS for the way that I have been treated so far.”
Before yesterday’s press conference, there had been speculations that Obuah had been on hunger strike, after DSS operatives denied him access to his drugs.
Also, doctors and lawyers of the former CSO to the president were said to have been denied access to him, which prompted him to embark on hunger strike. -The Sun