Making New Year’s resolutions have become second nature to many people in Nigeria, especially those in the corporate world. These goals, more often than not, tend to be personal resolutions: Get organized. Spend less, and save more. Even Mark Zuckerburg of Facebook has resolved to read a new book every other week. What about resolutions for your well being? Statistics show that people who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals. Wouldn’t you like to be ten times more likely to achieve wellness and fitness success in 2015? Here are a few ideas to help you get started.
- Identify your fitness goals: A good place to start is to have definite goals and set a timeline to achieve them. Then write it down on paper so it becomes more real to you.
- Talk about your resolutions: Let friends and family know what you’ve decided to do and get them to support you in your year-long journey.
- Set Mini Goals: If your main goal is to lose 30 kilos in twelve months, set smaller goals along the way so you are constantly making sure you are staying on track i.e. lose 2.5kilos a month for twelve months to make 30 kilos. When you meet your mini goals, celebrate them to encourage yourself to keep moving forward. Don’t set a reward that reverts to a bad habit, such as indulging in your favorite dessert. Instead, buy new running shoes or treat yourself to a massage.
- Anticipate Setbacks: There will be days when you feel like sabotaging your fitness progress and revert to your former self. Relax, don’t worry. This happens to everyone on this journey. Don’t give up just because a few days went wrong. Instead, determine what the problem was and develop a game plan to avoid this same setback.
- Track Progress through a Journal or Mobile App: Keeping a record of your diet and fitness regimen helps you monitor progress and motivates you to stick to your plan. There are plenty of free, user-friendly mobile apps available that make tracking simple, or consider starting a journal or making notes in a daily planner. Trending now are all kinds of fitness bands and bracelet trackers that also double as fashion accessories.
If you practice these, I guarantee you’ll be amazed at your result. Moreso, you’ll achieve the body of your dreams effortlessly. Be Well!