A 22-year-old househelp sentenced to death by hanging for beheading Ogun judge

AWEHangmansNoose-702x336 Ogun State High Court sitting in Isabo, Abeo­kuta yesterday sentenced a 22-year-old house help, David Idah to death for killing a 65-year-old retired chief magistrate, Mrs. Olu­funmilayo Timeyin over a year ago.

Idah who on March 28 last year beheaded Time­yin in her Laderin Estate, Abeokuta residence, is to die by hanging.

The convict was first ar­raigned on April 4, 2014 before an Abeokuta Chief Magistrates’ Court on a one-count charge of unlaw­ful killing.

The offence, according to the prosecution, contra­vened Sections 316 and 319 of the Criminal Code Laws of Ogun State, 2006.

Justice Abiodun Akinyemi condemned Idah while delivering judge­ment on the murder charge brought against the accused person.

Idah who had then worked as house help to the Timey­in household for only two months before the incident, was said to have scaled the fence of the house to attack the retired senior magistrate with a machete, hacking her to death.

He was also said to have switched off the electricity supply to the house before attacking the retired senior magistrate.

Having accomplished his alleged mission to attack her, Idah was said to have scaled the fence back into the bush behind the house where he hid himself to avoid being caught.

The alarm raised by one of the sons of the late senior magistrate, Olamide who had earlier knocked on the gates and heard the desper­ate cries of her mum attract­ed some residents who im­mediately alerted the men of the Ogun State Vigilance Service who eventually ar­rested the accused.

The house help had a week earlier been arrested and detained by the police for allegedly burgling the Timeyin family residence, stealing household items, including jewellery, elec­tronics and GSM handsets.

He was allegedly caught while trying to sell off the phones and handed over to the police by GSM phone dealers at Oke-Ilewo, Abeo­kuta.

Idah was sacked by the retired chief magistrate after he was caught stealing some items from her residence

The late chief magistrate was said to have pleaded with the police to release the house help who was only let off the hook four days before he carried out  the crime.

Show More

Our Reporter

An accomplished online marketer, with a proven ability to develop and implement Social media strategies that support a wide array of businesses.

Related Articles